On Sunday, October 23, 2022, we celebrated our 100th Anniversary, and were very happy so many could join us! The day began with a Service of Thanksgiving for our 100 (and 2) years of Ministry and Mission, which was followed by a light luncheon.
Here are some photos from the service and luncheon, and we want to thank everyone who made this such a memorable day!
Michael Oulton, our Bishop for the Diocese of Ontario, lead the service, including a prayer at the cornerstones of our ministry: the font where we baptize, the lectern where we read the word of God, and the pulpit where the word is preached.
The Bishop preached on how our ancestors set a stake on this property and bravely began our ministry, and of the call for us to do the same as we minister into the future.
Bishop Oulton also prayed and blessed our 100th Anniversary Window.
Many members of our congregation participated, making the service even that much more special.
And then off to lunch! Sandwiches, pickles, veggies, and sweets were all lovingly made by members of St. Philip’s ACW. Coffee and tea was served, and all enjoyed the luncheon!
And to make the day even more special, Mayor Steve Ferguson presented the congregation with a certificate of recognition and congratulations from The County!
As you can see we had a really lovely day! Thank you to all for making it so very special! Below is more information of what was accomplished in 2020, in preparation for the day we could celebration our 100th Anniversary.
As part of the 2020 preparations to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of rebuilding the church, several projects were carried out to update our church to make it more beautiful and inviting. These projects were planned before Covid-19 restrictions took hold, but completed during the summer while respecting the health and safety of all. These include:
- Memorial Window: installed above the main entrance door and accompanied by a memorial plaque in the vestibule. We are grateful for the memorial donations that made this possible;
- Painting: using a new colour scheme the sanctuary, nave, vestry and vestibule, are looking crisp and inviting;
- Nave: by reducing the number of pews and making a minor reorientation we improved the focus on the altar;
- Audio System: a new mixer and microphones for the lectern and the pulpit provide enhanced audio; and
- Flooring: where necessary we Improved and replacing the floor coverings.
We are planning a big celebration with the community for our 100th anniversary, when we are safely able to gather and make merry!
The ACW group created a Memory Book, which all members of St. Philip’s church, past and present, could contribute to and take part in. People were asked to send in stories and memories that were special to them. The project grew and grew and we are now pleased to offer the 2020 Memory Book for your enjoyment!